Moths Instead of Flies?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Richard
Amityville Member

Moths Instead of Flies?

Post by Richard » Sat May 05, 2018 4:04 pm

I lived in what I believed was a haunted house, from when I was born (1964) until I entered high school (1976).

There were plenty of goings-on in this house. For one, I was tormented at night by black, snake-like creatures that lived in a hole in the floor behind my bed. My Mom was also nervous in the house; she suffered a complete emotional breakdown at one point, and whenever my Dad had to travel out of town on business, she would sleep downstairs in the living room, with a loaded shotgun on the floor beside her. Years later, she admitted to me that she'd felt she had to protect herself and me (an only child) from an unknown "something"; in 1976, when we moved to a new house, she stopped sleeping with a shotgun when Dad was out of town, and experienced a reversal of her personality (i.e., she became much more outgoing, and involved in things in the community).

I think it was the last summer we lived in the original house, one evening I went up to my room to do whatever and found my closet full of moths! Not clothes moths, but the big grey night moths that one finds all the time flying around streetlights. I counted at least 20 of them. I remember running downstairs screaming to my Mom that she had to come up to my room QUICK. Fortunately, I'd had the presence of mind to shut my door before I went downstairs. Mom came up to my room with me and we shut the door behind us. We looked in the closet, and there was not a moth to be seen! Over the next hour, we practically turned that room upside down - no moths. They'd vanished as quickly as they'd appeared.

Richard
Amityville Member

Re: Moths Instead of Flies?

Post by Richard » Mon May 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Further to, I can recall being happy every weekend when we'd leave the house to go to our cottage, five miles up a lake and accessible only by water, because I had the distinct feeling that we were getting away from "it" for a few days. Mom would change into jeans and pack a picnic cooler. (In those days, women usually wore skirts and dresses all the time when they were in town). Then Dad would come home from work, quickly change his clothes, and we'd be off. There would be an almost palpable sense of relief, that would last until we got back on Sunday evening. The heaviness would start up again as I would take my bath that night to get ready for school again on Monday morning.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon May 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing!

Was the hole in the floor behind your bed actually there? Or did it appears when the creatures appeared?

Richard
Amityville Member

Post by Richard » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm

It would only appear slightly before the creatures would appear. Many nights I would scream for my parents, and the entity would disappear. Mom and Dad would show up, groggy and irate, and somewhat exasperatedly point out the solid nature of the hardwood floor. However, what I found odd was that Dad offered to enclose my bed in a chicken wire cage to keep the things out. It seems extraordinary lengths to go to, even if one is a handy person - not to mention, rather naive parenting in that it would only serve to reinforce fears and not dispel them - that is, unless he too had seen something and wasn’t about to admit it.

Richard
Amityville Member

Post by Richard » Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm

I came to know these black, snakelike demons as "chugs" - the exact circumstances under which that name was relayed to me, and by whom it was, I cannot recall. Therefore, the real name for them may be either that which I have stated, or something infinitely more Lovecraftian.... :D

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 am

Welcome to the board.

Have you researched the history of the property? Spoken to previous or current tenants?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Sat May 12, 2018 6:34 am

Richard wrote:It would only appear slightly before the creatures would appear. Many nights I would scream for my parents, and the entity would disappear. Mom and Dad would show up, groggy and irate, and somewhat exasperatedly point out the solid nature of the hardwood floor. However, what I found odd was that Dad offered to enclose my bed in a chicken wire cage to keep the things out. It seems extraordinary lengths to go to, even if one is a handy person - not to mention, rather naive parenting in that it would only serve to reinforce fears and not dispel them - that is, unless he too had seen something and wasn’t about to admit it.
Chicken wire is an interesting choice, shows he believed it to be a physical entity, not just spiritual/an apparition. Furthermore, chicken wire has holes large enough to let moths through, so he seemed more concerned about something bigger than a moth. One advantage of chicken wire is its ability to mold to a shape. So, if something tried to push through, you could see just how large it was. I take it he never put the cage around your bed?

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Sat May 12, 2018 6:42 am

underthegarden wrote:
Richard wrote:It would only appear slightly before the creatures would appear. Many nights I would scream for my parents, and the entity would disappear. Mom and Dad would show up, groggy and irate, and somewhat exasperatedly point out the solid nature of the hardwood floor. However, what I found odd was that Dad offered to enclose my bed in a chicken wire cage to keep the things out. It seems extraordinary lengths to go to, even if one is a handy person - not to mention, rather naive parenting in that it would only serve to reinforce fears and not dispel them - that is, unless he too had seen something and wasn’t about to admit it.
Chicken wire is an interesting choice, shows he believed it to be a physical entity, not just spiritual/an apparition. Furthermore, chicken wire has holes large enough to let moths through, so he seemed more concerned about something bigger than a moth. One advantage of chicken wire is its ability to mold to a shape. So, if something tried to push through, you could see just how large it was. I take it he never put the cage around your bed?
Chicken wire would likely not be effective against snakes. I guess he was trying to protect you, but the choice of chicken wire is kind of odd, unless he was legitimately concerned it might be a larger living thing (bat, raccoon, etc.). I take it there was no droppings, noises in the walls, marks or holes in walls or floor?

Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict

Post by Bodie_Rose » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

First of all I'm not trying to dismiss your experience or anything, but...

Just giving my own perspective, a largely psychological one.

How your mother felt sounds a lot like Post Natal Depression. That things got better after moving out isn't unusual. Sometimes a new beginning can make a world of difference. I suffered a breakdown too when my child was younger, a move to a new place made me feel like a new woman.

It seems to me you're saying there wasn t really a hole in the floor, so possibly very realistic nightmares. Your father probably thought treating your fears seriously would help you.

The moths... well those little pests have a habit of disappearing into various nooks and crannies. Moths are a real pain where I live, they get into closets and drawers, they wreck my clothes, and if I open a drawer or closet the things fly out and find a new place to hide from me. Luckily for me, this spring, there's a new bat colony in the woods behind my house and barely seen any moths yet this year.