Your thoughts on the history of the house

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9734
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 am

Tim wrote:George was very familiar with blueprints, having been a second generation land surveyor. It seems it's just one more thing that "did not make sense."
He looked at them after leaving the house.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 346

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by DC Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 am

Tim wrote:George was very familiar with blueprints, having been a second generation land surveyor. It seems it's just one more thing that "did not make sense."
Tim:

Congratulations on post number 666. :clap:

This would have been municipal infrastructure and as such I would suspect that it would not show up on house plans. Do power lines show up on them so that you don't really need to call before you dig? And what about the fact that this "creek" is almost at sea level anyway and should empty a heavy rain into the ocean on its own? To where else would it be diverted?

There is a reason why European countries have abolished their monarchies or deprived them of their power to govern. I've seen it in politics and in small family businesses. The second generation is not actually being required to be competent and all too often is not.

I'm not sure what to make of all this but I have too hard a time believing that Jay Anson would have been told about this in the tapes.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9734
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 pm

DC Fan wrote:I'm not sure what to make of all this but I have too hard a time believing that Jay Anson would have been told about this in the tapes.
The tapes were not made for Anson's benefit. They were made by George and Kathy for themselves. They later made copies for Anson when he was writing the book.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 346

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by DC Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
DC Fan wrote:I'm not sure what to make of all this but I have too hard a time believing that Jay Anson would have been told about this in the tapes.
The tapes were not made for Anson's benefit. They were made by George and Kathy for themselves. They later made copies for Anson when he was writing the book.
I know. It was a self help kind of thing to recall the weird stuff. That is precisely my point; some kind of drainage does not belong on the list. George did not talk about it later for that same reason.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9734
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 am

It could fall under one of the things they found strange about the property. The tapes lasted for hours too, so they would have been talking about a variety of stuff. But, without hearing them, who knows!

underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 120
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by underthegarden » Mon May 07, 2018 11:48 am

Brooke Forrester wrote:I was wondering how you all feel about the stories of an Indian burial ground on the property and the John Ketchum burial on the property or if he even was a “witch”.

And do you believe the story that the ghost boy Missy talked about was really a boy who drowned?

I just wonder what people think these days about that alleged history.
1. The Native American burial ground theory has been discredited - the local tribe lived miles away, evidence is from psychics, not historians, no other bones found nearby etc. So no, I don't believe that it was built on a burial ground, though am fascinated by that theory and how it has been perpetuated over time. This article has an interesting take: https://newrepublic.com/article/137856/ ... ial-ground

2. Re: Ketchum and witchcraft, that also seems to be a manufactured tale, just to add spooky points. Stories like this serve to distract from the real story of the house, and makes paranormal investigators seem less credible.

3. As a child, I had strange dreams and visions, and thought I lived in a haunted house. I thought I saw a doll move, heard strange sounds, etc. I'm sure most of it can be explained via science - I was napping, heard voices across the street, was in a basement where sounds carry in a different way, old plumbing, bad insulation. Kids are more receptive, but they also tend to be more imaginative. So...maybe she did see a boy, but it's equally likely that she saw a shadow and created a story even she began to believe.

I would love to see all the house's historical blueprints over time. It's too bad that FB page about the history of the house was taken down, I was appreciating all the small details that were slowly being delivered to us. I also find the fact that no other occupant other than the Lutz has any detailed history about their time living there, other than just statements that it isn't haunted. Every house has a story, even ordinary houses. Maybe they don't believe in hauntings, but perhaps unusual things happened. For instance, maybe they heard footsteps, or maybe they had wiring issues, or maybe they discovered some weird architectural feature. I know that the owners don't have to be historical custodians, nor document their time there, just saying it would be very interesting to read. OH WELL.

User avatar
Brendan72
Forest Giant
Posts: 3029
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Brendan72 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:It could fall under one of the things they found strange about the property. The tapes lasted for hours too, so they would have been talking about a variety of stuff. But, without hearing them, who knows!
I remember Dan Farrands mentioning transcripts of the tapes he read as part of the research towards the History's Mysteries documentaries in 2000. If the tapes are no longer available perhaps the transcripts would suffice, depending on whose possession they are in.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9734
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Brendan72 wrote:I remember Dan Farrands mentioning transcripts of the tapes he read as part of the research towards the History's Mysteries documentaries in 2000. If the tapes are no longer available perhaps the transcripts would suffice, depending on whose possession they are in.
They would, but if they really were transcripts from those tapes, only a small portion survived.

Thomasmariel
Amityville Member
Posts: 8

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Thomasmariel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 am

My basic perception of Amityville is that it's a device created by the British accent as a way to prevent the American accent from knowing of its true heritage

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict
Posts: 289
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Amityville Rock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:08 pm

George also stated Dr. Heffern (sp?) claimed a "troll" haunted the house. Allegedly during filming for the History Channel Documentary (which aired in October of 2000) this same Troll appeared in a dream had by one of the young actresses who portrayed the Defoe girls. The Troll supposedly warned the girl that it and the other entities in the house were not happy with the documentary that there would be "hell to pay" unless certain scenes were cut out (which later were).
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

jecht
Amityville Member
Posts: 59
Location: Chesterland OH USA
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by jecht » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 pm

I wonder what scenes were requested be cut out?

Also, I've always wondered about the house's history from '20 to '64, before DeFeo moved in.

What was the name of the FB page about the house's history? I can find it if it is cached.
Kosar to Slaughter! Touchdown Browns!

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict
Posts: 653
Location: In love

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm

I was watching one of the documentaries last night, I was wondering, does anyone know where Kathy got the info about a drowning boy and other tragedies that supposedly occurred to every family that lived there?

And I wonder if they meant in the house currently there, or the one previous.

Also, I don’t know what to make of Ed Warren’s story about the mass the DeFeos had there, because he says from all the information he had, but doesn’t name sources, and the documentary showed a paper from the church saying they had no records of a mass performed in the house.

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict
Posts: 289
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Amityville Rock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm

jecht wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 pm
I wonder what scenes were requested be cut out?
I don't know. George did not specified to me which ones they were. I got the impression these scenes may have involved footage of the Lutzes' testimony. Supposedly there is about seven hours of unused footage which was shot by the production company back in early 2000.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

jecht
Amityville Member
Posts: 59
Location: Chesterland OH USA
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by jecht » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

What was the FB page about the house history? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again Rock!
Kosar to Slaughter! Touchdown Browns!

indigo_turquoise
Amityville Member
Posts: 13

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by indigo_turquoise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm
I was watching one of the documentaries last night, I was wondering, does anyone know where Kathy got the info about a drowning boy and other tragedies that supposedly occurred to every family that lived there?

And I wonder if they meant in the house currently there, or the one previous.

Also, I don’t know what to make of Ed Warren’s story about the mass the DeFeos had there, because he says from all the information he had, but doesn’t name sources, and the documentary showed a paper from the church saying they had no records of a mass performed in the house.
http://www.amityvillefaq.com/research/ The article from 1954. Doesn't say how close to the property it was-just that it was on Ocean Ave.

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict
Posts: 289
Contact:

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Amityville Rock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:52 pm

*I meant to type "George did not specify to me"
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict
Posts: 653
Location: In love

Re: Your thoughts on the history of the house

Post by Brooke Forrester » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:38 pm

indigo_turquoise wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Brooke Forrester wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm
I was watching one of the documentaries last night, I was wondering, does anyone know where Kathy got the info about a drowning boy and other tragedies that supposedly occurred to every family that lived there?

And I wonder if they meant in the house currently there, or the one previous.

Also, I don’t know what to make of Ed Warren’s story about the mass the DeFeos had there, because he says from all the information he had, but doesn’t name sources, and the documentary showed a paper from the church saying they had no records of a mass performed in the house.
http://www.amityvillefaq.com/research/ The article from 1954. Doesn't say how close to the property it was-just that it was on Ocean Ave.
Okay, thanks Indigo!

Post Reply