Jackie Barrett's Book "The Devil I Know"

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
henry_kaney
Amityville Member

Jackie Barrett's Book "The Devil I Know"

Post by henry_kaney » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Well, it would seem as though everyone and anyone wants to cash in on the Amityville name. First came the ridiculously absurd book written by Kathy's (supposed) sister, now I read Jackie Barrett's fanciful account of her encounters with DeFeo himself. I actually found this book in a thrift store nearby, and decided what the hell, it can't be anymore ridiculous than the other movies and books that we've been bombarded with so far... Anyway, to make a long story short, I read the book and laughed out loud on several occasions. Not only are some of the claims Ronnie (and Jackie) make in this account so outlandish and blatantly false, they are contrary to known facts that have been addressed here on this board before--and elsewhere. After reading this book, I came to the conclusion that she's as nuts as Ronnie is. I tossed it straight in the trash bin...

FAIL

Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict

Re: Jackie Barrett's Book "The Devil I Know"

Post by Bodie_Rose » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:52 am

henry_kaney wrote:Well, it would seem as though everyone and anyone wants to cash in on the Amityville name. First came the ridiculously absurd book written by Kathy's (supposed) sister, now I read Jackie Barrett's fanciful account of her encounters with DeFeo himself. I actually found this book in a thrift store nearby, and decided what the hell, it can't be anymore ridiculous than the other movies and books that we've been bombarded with so far... Anyway, to make a long story short, I read the book and laughed out loud on several occasions. Not only are some of the claims Ronnie (and Jackie) make in this account so outlandish and blatantly false, they are contrary to known facts that have been addressed here on this board before--and elsewhere. After reading this book, I came to the conclusion that she's as nuts as Ronnie is. I tossed it straight in the trash bin...

FAIL
Exactly how I felt reading that book too.

It's a disgusting waste of paper that completely disrespects the memory of a murdered family.

Unfortunately it's exactly the kind of BS you expect from Ronnie, a guy who has never shown a single ounce of remorse for his actions and has lied through his teeth constantly over the years.

Jackie is an appalling woman who took advantage of a terrible murder to get attention. She should be ashamed of herself.

henry_kaney
Amityville Member

Post by henry_kaney » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:51 am

It's a disgusting waste of paper that completely disrespects the memory of a murdered family.

Unfortunately it's exactly the kind of BS you expect from Ronnie, a guy who has never shown a single ounce of remorse for his actions and has lied through his teeth constantly over the years.

Jackie is an appalling woman who took advantage of a terrible murder to get attention. She should be ashamed of herself.
The impression that I got throughout the book is that she was being played by Ronnie all along, and either she was too stupid to recognize that fact--or just plain gullible enough that she genuinely did trust and believe him. The context of the book was all over the place, with horrible editing in many places and Jackie jumping from one topic to the next without explanation. The entire "flow" of the book was just awful. Sometimes, Jackie would just start rambling on about nothing in particular, then start talking about something totally irrelevant. It's almost like she didn't know where she was going or what she was doing with this project. It's just more outright BS and lies, along the same line as Ronnie being married to that so-called Geraldine chick. And the story of Ronnie running around Amiytville with $1 million dollars stashed in his trunk after the murders is such a fantastic tale that I don't understand how she ever came to believe ANYTHING he said after that. The part where she mentions her voodoo upbringing along with her mother's bizarre rituals and eccentric personality left me with the impression that not only she--but indeed her entire family--are all crazy. I consider this entire book to be nothing more than the product of a woman with an extremely overactive and vivid imagination. Just another nutcase seeking money/publicity and playing right into Ronnie's sick games and his psychotic personality and nature.

As the years tick by, you would think the entire Amityville saga would have, for the most part, receded from public memory by now. It has, after all, been 43+ years ago now. Instead, the plot seems to get more and more bizarre with each new book or movie that's released--each one more ridiculous than the previous. Is it any wonder with all the distortion of facts and half-truths running rampant out there, that so many people don't know who or what to believe anymore? Then we had Weber going on the record several years ago who admitted--on camera--that "there have been a number of deaths and tragedies associated with this case", but he believed these events to be nothing more than sheer co-incidence. In any case, Weber always came off as your typical "slimeball" attorney that would do or say anything to make a quick buck. I swear, this entire story just gets more and more bizarre with each new twist and turn, with even more and more crackpots coming out of the woodwork who seemingly want nothing more than to have their names attached to this thing...

"Disgusting" is right...

Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict

Post by Bodie_Rose » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 am

henry_kaney wrote:

The impression that I got throughout the book is that she was being played by Ronnie all along, and either she was too stupid to recognize that fact--or just plain gullible enough that she genuinely did trust and believe him. The context of the book was all over the place, with horrible editing in many places and Jackie jumping from one topic to the next without explanation. The entire "flow" of the book was just awful. Sometimes, Jackie would just start rambling on about nothing in particular, then start talking about something totally irrelevant. It's almost like she didn't know where she was going or what she was doing with this project. It's just more outright BS and lies, along the same line as Ronnie being married to that so-called Geraldine chick. And the story of Ronnie running around Amiytville with $1 million dollars stashed in his trunk after the murders is such a fantastic tale that I don't understand how she ever came to believe ANYTHING he said after that. The part where she mentions her voodoo upbringing along with her mother's bizarre rituals and eccentric personality left me with the impression that not only she--but indeed her entire family--are all crazy. I consider this entire book to be nothing more than the product of a woman with an extremely overactive and vivid imagination. Just another nutcase seeking money/publicity and playing right into Ronnie's sick games and his psychotic personality and nature.

As the years tick by, you would think the entire Amityville saga would have, for the most part, receded from public memory by now. It has, after all, been 43+ years ago now. Instead, the plot seems to get more and more bizarre with each new book or movie that's released--each one more ridiculous than the previous. Is it any wonder with all the distortion of facts and half-truths running rampant out there, that so many people don't know who or what to believe anymore? Then we had Weber going on the record several years ago who admitted--on camera--that "there have been a number of deaths and tragedies associated with this case", but he believed these events to be nothing more than sheer co-incidence. In any case, Weber always came off as your typical "slimeball" attorney that would do or say anything to make a quick buck. I swear, this entire story just gets more and more bizarre with each new twist and turn, with even more and more crackpots coming out of the woodwork who seemingly want nothing more than to have their names attached to this thing...

"Disgusting" is right...
The crackpots are on both sides of the fence to be honest. I know the "pro-hoaxers" and Ronnie supporters get a bad rap around here, but quite a few well known names on the opposite side aren't really any better most of the time.

I suppose that's why I find the whole story so fascinating. To me personally, it's not about demons or ghosts or whatever other things that go bump in the night. It's the sheer soap operative human drama that seems to stick to the whole sorry mess. Kind of like driving past a car crash.