The board members' take 112 Ocean Avenue

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
midwest1
Amityville Member

The board members' take 112 Ocean Avenue

Post by midwest1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Which viewpoint is the most popular on this message board as to what happened at 112 Ocean Avenue? Is the dead Indian chief view popular here? The demonic view? The hoax view? Something else?

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Re: The board members' take 112 Ocean Avenue

Post by jimmysmokes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:30 pm

better yet is how you and I haven't been called the same person yet

you'll have to choose a side, pro or anti

good luck
FIRE THAT THING UP!

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:14 am

The first sign of insanity is getting into an argument with yourself ...
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:11 am

jimmysmokes wrote:better yet is how you and I haven't been called the same person yet

you'll have to choose a side, pro or anti

good luck

Where is Kblur77?

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:05 am

Brendan72 wrote:The first sign of insanity is getting into an argument with yourself ...
i agree. what clinic are you doing time in?
FIRE THAT THING UP!

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
Brendan72 wrote:The first sign of insanity is getting into an argument with yourself ...
i agree. what clinic are you doing time in?

How is kblur77 doing?

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:25 pm

crappy actually. caught the old flu bug as he usually does around the winter holidays. ask him.
FIRE THAT THING UP!

Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Post by Tim » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:51 pm

She just did.
"Things of this nature happen quite frequently,and when they happen to families, they usually close the door and they don't talk about it; and unless these things are talked about, they'll never be understood." - Kathy Lutz

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Tim wrote:She just did.
tim-my (what a pathetic, lame, moniker) I suggest the following. go get a decent name to post under and I would also suggest you try to arouse your "brain" to in order to produce a 1% bowel movement, providing it could not even do that the first time around you came in here and all you could crap out was the lifeless timmy.

no one cares for your posts...
FIRE THAT THING UP!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:33 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:no one cares for your posts...
Or yours. Do you still want to be part of this forum?

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Oh SNAP! Want some ice to go with that BURN? LOL

hansol77
Amityville Member

Post by hansol77 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:38 pm

The amityville horror was a hoax from day one.
it was made to make money and it did make a lot of money for a lot of people

happy christmas :dance:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Happy Xmas, Hansol!

Good to see you back again :)

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:03 pm

hansol77 wrote:The amityville horror was a hoax from day one.
Which day one?

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:45 pm

midwest1 wrote:Which viewpoint is the most popular on this message board as to what happened at 112 Ocean Avenue? Is the dead Indian chief view popular here? The demonic view? The hoax view? Something else?
Back on topic I think it is what Laura Didio regarded as a 'perfect storm' or a 'confluence of events' rather than just singular events. I think this case has gotten more than fair share of attention over the years although there are other cases which are just as intense.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

midwest1
Amityville Member

Post by midwest1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Okay, thanks for this information :)

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:45 pm

I don't think it was a hoax but I do think some of the things were exagerrated and some things mistaken as paranormal that were natural occurences.

I don't believe the idea that the house was always haunted, I think if there was trouble, it came after the murders.

I also believe if there was an Indian, it was only the one there, as Holzer said, and not an entire tribe.

mysteryguy78
Amityville Member

Post by mysteryguy78 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:43 pm

I personally don't believe it was a hoax just for the fact they left everything and just left but even past that if it was a hoax wouldn't they have made there money in the few years of the book and movie then just kind of went away but they still maintained and talked of there experience even when there was no more money for them to make on it. I mean after they made there money on it the could have just said it was a hoax it would have made no difference. Just my opinion 8-)

Exsecratio
Amityville Member

Post by Exsecratio » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:43 pm

My personal take is Christopher is the only widely known representative that survives who can give an accurate and full account of events.

That said it's not something I question him about, I don't see him as Christopher *lutz* I just see him as my friend Chris.

Wallace
Amityville Member

Post by Wallace » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 am

These days I'm not sure how I feel about the Amityville. Many years ago I would have told you that I was a believer. Those were back in the days when I was a huge believer in the paranormal. Over the years I have grown increasingly skeptical of the paranormal, though I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of things such as ghosts and hauntings. I have pretty grown skeptical of all cases that involve the Warrens, for a variety of different reasons, though Amityville is one case that I have a hard time dismissing. For one thing, I have always found it odd that a couple with three kids would leave everything they owned behind on a one in a million chance of getting rich off a ghost story. Sure, stranger things have happened, but this still seems unlikely. Also some of the biggest criers of hoax, such as Kaplan, Weber, and Osuna all have credibility problems. I also find it odd that Kathy Lutz continued to stand by the story long after she was divorced from George. You would have thought the so-called hoax would have come out after a messy divorce or at least on her death bed. I find it even more odd that all three of the kids at one point or another have validated the story, which is interesting considering two of them hated George's guts. Especially Daniel, who continues to spit venom at his stepdad. It's not to say that I believe everything that Daniel says, like the part of about George moving objects with his mind, but it seems to me that if he really wanted to spite George, wouldn't it be easier to confess to it all being a hoax?

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:01 pm

I was thinking about the idea of them taking a chance that it would be a hit with the public, and while I am not saying I think it was a hoax, I keep an open mind, so I will say I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that someone could have taken a chance on the story becoming a sensation.

For example, the story of Dorothy Stratten. For those who don't know, she was the Playmate of the Year for 1980 and was fast becoming a successful actress. Two years before that, she was just a young girl working in a Dairy Queen. But a man, Paul Snider, saw her and knew immediately that she could become a star. He got her to pose for Playboy's 25th Anniversary Contest, which she was the runner up for (only not chosen because she was so young), and was a huge hit in the Playboy world and was on her way to more. When she left Paul, he killed her and then himself. So we will never know how far she would rise.

But, my point is, that this man saw something in her that he knew could make her famous. This was also true for Marilyn Monroe, who was not having a lot of success until an agent, Johnny Hyde, started helping her, because he saw that she had what it took to be a star.

So, is it possible that George saw something in the house and the DeFeo murder story that he knew could become a ghost story/hit with the public? It's not impossible. Some people have an eye for what will be successful and take their chances, and some risks pay off, some don't. You never know until you try, but some things are more bound to be successful than others.

The house did have a spooky look with the eye windows, the size of the place, the old neighborhood. The story of a devout religious family being murdered by one of their own is the stuff of Hollywood in and of itself.

I don't really think that that was the purpose of buying the house, I guess I am saying I can see where a hoax believer would think it's possible though.

For me the part that I think was fictionalized was all the "haunted before the DeFeo murders" stuff. I will always believe Anson made those things up to spare the DeFeos from having the idea that their loved ones weren't at rest and were haunting the place (and to juice up the story and capitalize on things like The Exorcist/demons which were popular then). The Lutzes said there was a little boy haunting the place, but instead of thinking it is one of the boys who just died there a year before, they think it's some child from long ago? That just seems odd to me.

As for the children not saying it's a hoax, that could be because if they throw George under the bus, they'd have to throw Kathy under it too.

Again, not saying that it was a hoax, just saying where a hoax believer could still not be convinced by the kids not saying it was a lie.