The Welles House

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

The Welles House

Post by Amity108 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:00 am

This one has a history but not so popular nationwide. Locally it is. This place is going for only $30,000 and needs some updating. This property has supposedly been visited by the Warrens as well. Kinda reminds me of the Smurl house in nearby West Pittston, Pa.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 8175-13258
A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

kathyM
Princess

Re: Haunted House for sale!

Post by kathyM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:21 am

That red carpeting on the starway reminded me of the DeFeo house. I almost expected to see the family portraits on the walls.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Nice pictures! I agree the house (and the interior) looks a bit spooky. But maybe just because it needs new paint. ;)

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 am

If I had the money I would move overseas and fix
the place up. Looks like a decent house.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Wow, I don't know how I missed this.

Back in April, there was an article about the house in our local paper. I photograph for a paranormal group, so I called our case manager to try and set something up. We were in a few days later.

Well, this had to be the scariest location I was ever at... but has nothing to do with the paranormal. This street in particular is where you do not want to be at night. Drug dealers, shootings, etc. Groups of people walking up and down, yelling, and just wanting to start trouble. Walking around the outside of the house with expensive camera equipment isn't a great idea.

The inside of the house, especially the ceiling height and woodwork was really nice, but they can't seem to be able to give this house away. The smell is terrible though- the neighbors feed a bunch of cats INSIDE the abandoned home.

I think our group was getting lots of evps, but I really don't pay attention to the paranormal aspect of our group (to me, with everything going on outside, everything should be considered contaminated)

Anyway, here is one of the few pics I took of the home - http://bit.ly/1eMt05Q

And in closing, 2 people shot today on the Street- 1 ruled dead, but now supposedly he is just in 'grave condition'
www.AmityPhotos.com

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:55 am

AmityPhotos wrote:Wow, I don't know how I missed this.

Back in April, there was an article about the house in our local paper. I photograph for a paranormal group, so I called our case manager to try and set something up. We were in a few days later.

Well, this had to be the scariest location I was ever at... but has nothing to do with the paranormal. This street in particular is where you do not want to be at night. Drug dealers, shootings, etc. Groups of people walking up and down, yelling, and just wanting to start trouble. Walking around the outside of the house with expensive camera equipment isn't a great idea.

The inside of the house, especially the ceiling height and woodwork was really nice, but they can't seem to be able to give this house away. The smell is terrible though- the neighbors feed a bunch of cats INSIDE the abandoned home.

I think our group was getting lots of evps, but I really don't pay attention to the paranormal aspect of our group (to me, with everything going on outside, everything should be considered contaminated)

Anyway, here is one of the few pics I took of the home - http://bit.ly/1eMt05Q

And in closing, 2 people shot today on the Street- 1 ruled dead, but now supposedly he is just in 'grave condition'
Wow that is too cool! I know its not in a good section and is also why the price is so low along with other reasons. I think the crime on the street is scarier than the ghosts. I'll deal with ghosts any day but I have no tolerance for what goes on outside. Sad to say but I think that house will sit empty for much longer.
A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Our group went to Pennhurst School last night and we were talking about the Welles Street house. Seems like nobody is in a rush to head back there. One girl looked into it and the shootings were a couple blocks down the street- not that it makes it any more enticing.
www.AmityPhotos.com

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 am

Damn and that's a shame.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Amity108- not to rub it in, but we did have WAWA on the way to AND from Pennhurst
www.AmityPhotos.com

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:55 pm

AmityPhotos wrote:Amity108- not to rub it in, but we did have WAWA on the way to AND from Pennhurst
:fp:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:38 am

Couple advertises home as 'slightly haunted'

Between the mysteriously banging doors, the odd noises coming from the basement, and the persistent feeling that someone is standing behind them, homeowners Gregory and Sandi Leeson are thoroughly creeped out by their 113-year-old Victorian.

So when they put the house in northeastern Pennsylvania up for sale last month, they advertised it as "slightly haunted."

Then things got REALLY weird.

There were calls from ghost hunters. An open house attracted lots of curiosity seekers, but no legitimate buyers. And a former resident came out of the woodwork to tell the couple that when he was a kid, he found a human skull in the basement — the same basement whose door Sandi Leeson once barricaded because she swore she could hear the clicking of a cigarette lighter emanating from the subterranean depths.

It's enough to make her husband wonder whether he did the right thing when he playfully wrote about the home's spooky charms:

"Slightly haunted. Nothing serious, though," says the listing on Zillow's real-estate site. It goes on to describe 3:13 a.m. screams and "the occasional ghastly visage" in the bathroom mirror.

The listing attracted local and national media attention. Now the Leesons just need an actual buyer for the four-bedroom home, on the market for $144,000.

"I tried to word it with a little bit of a sense of humor," says Greg Leeson, a 35-year-old who works in information technology, but "I don't think it has helped with marketing. We're not really getting very many interested buyers. We're getting a lot of nonsense people."

Spring should bring more traffic. But if it doesn't sell, Leeson said they might consider renting it out — by the night — to folks looking for spooky thrills.

While Leeson concedes the home has a "creepy vibe," he doesn't believe in ghosts.

And his wife?

"I definitely think there's a spirit or a ghost in the house, just from my personal experiences," she said.
http://www.wistv.com/story/24486690/cou ... ly-haunted

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 pm

"Slightly haunted" also means the ghost has weekend's off and has an attitude problem about when they haunt and when they don't.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am

:lol: :)

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm

AmityPhotos wrote:Our group went to Pennhurst School last night and we were talking about the Welles Street house. Seems like nobody is in a rush to head back there. One girl looked into it and the shootings were a couple blocks down the street- not that it makes it any more enticing.
Did you get chased out of Penhurst by the security dude? We went and walked around there on Christmas day because we, rightly, guessed that nobody would be there.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/ravensez/Page-1.jpg[/img]

themysticalcafe
Amityville Member

Post by themysticalcafe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Any on CAlifornia?

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:40 pm

themysticalcafe wrote:Any on CAlifornia?
I'm sure there is but you would have to do some research.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

quotestheraven wrote:
AmityPhotos wrote:Our group went to Pennhurst School last night and we were talking about the Welles Street house. Seems like nobody is in a rush to head back there. One girl looked into it and the shootings were a couple blocks down the street- not that it makes it any more enticing.
Did you get chased out of Penhurst by the security dude? We went and walked around there on Christmas day because we, rightly, guessed that nobody would be there.
Nope, I was there 'legally' all 3 times (the second time I totaled my girlfriend's new car - 2 minutes from the place). Probably going back in March and May. I've done my share of trespassing at abandoned places, and Xmas day is your best bet. Pennhurst is worth the money if you are ever debating on going to one of their events
www.AmityPhotos.com

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 am

Ghost Hunter Claims 100% Proof of Paranormal Activity at Amityville Horror House of PA

On Saturday Feb. 15th, the LiveSciFi extreme ghost hunters will be streaming live their investigation of the haunted "Welles House" of Wilkes Barre, PA. While staying inside the haunted house for 48 hours straight, they will be streaming the paranormal investigation live worldwide via YouTube.

Known as Pennsylvania's own Amityville horror house, 46 South Welles Street was widely reported in the 70's as being a more dangerous haunting than Amityville. After living in the house for a month in 2013 and being face to face with extreme paranormal and demonic activity, Tim Wood [LiveSciFi creator and lead ghost hunter] decided to buy it last December. This weekend, he and his team will be back at the haunted house practicing their unique brand of live ghost hunting and streaming it online for all to see. While performing his extreme paranormal investigation techniques, Wood will be cataloging any new conclusive evidence or sightings that occur in order to be featured alongside the proof of paranormal activity he encountered during his previous stay. The paranormal evidence will be featured in an upcoming documentary about the Welles House and its history of true evil. Paranormal Evidence clip.

Welles House timeline as reported by the Times Leader and Citizens Voice -
Info about the haunted house on Welles St.
  • -1976 Bennett Family Moves into house - would later be forced to leave with only their clothes on their backs, in 1978.
    -Unexplained bangs, and scurrying noises from one end of the house to the other.
    -Unexplained illnesses and depression.
    -Nightly visits from a well-dressed phantom man and the appearance of a ghost of a young girl who walks through doors.
    -Shrieks, moans, and crying that seemed to be coming from the attic and within the house’s walls.
    -Bloody spots appearing on walls and floors in the living room.
    -A daughter being pushed down the stairs only to mysteriously float to the bottom of the landing on her feet unhurt.
    -Unexplained scratches, in groups of threes, would appear on the residents' bodies.
    -Sounds of boots tramping up and down the floors and in the walls of the house when there was no one on the stairs.
    -The discovery of little tin box behind one of the chimney bricks in the basement, which contained human molars wrapped with chicken bones placed in the shape of a cross.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/amityvill ... 572140.htm

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:44 am

Have the Bennett family who allegedly fled the house in 1978 been contacted? Or any attempts at all to locate?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Wow! Very interesting and thanks for sharing this find Sherb! Ill be watching it later.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 am

TV stars say “New Amityville Horror” is a true haunting, investigators disagree

Last year, a house in the relatively small city of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania went up for sale, a steal at 28k, but with one caveat: it was “extremely” haunted, the owners said. Now the new owners of this “authentic haunted house” say that reality television “ghost hunters” have declared it the real deal.. but actual paranormal investigators say something doesn’t add up.

The ugly little house on South Welles Street has occasionally been the subject of whispered stories since the 70′s, tales that told of restless spirits and the residents terrified of them. After awhile, the The Welles House earned itself the nickname of “Wilkes-Barre’s Amityville Horror”. One of the former tenants, Walker Bennet, moved out of the house in 1983 after coming face to face with the spirit of a woman in a white gown, hearing strange noises emanating from the attic, and witnessing blood drip from the walls. Bennet chalked it up to voodoo.

Despite efforts from other owners to prove that the home wasn’t haunted, the last tenant embraced the rumors and wrote up an ad that included the ghosts as a feature. The ad went viral, and in December of last year the home finally found an owner open to the idea of sharing a space with spirits – Tim Wood, the man behind all-paranormal streaming video website LiveSciFi, a website known for hosting some rather, well… dramatic investigations.

John Zaffis, of the recently cancelled SyFy series Haunted Collector and the self-proclaimed “godfather of the paranormal”, was on hand for the weekend investigation, and claims that the rumors of the home’s haunting are true.

“There is definitely paranormal activity that transpires in this house,” he told the local news. “They are definitely dealing with something with a very strong intelligence.”

What made Zaffis so confident that the home was haunted? A conversation with a broken radio. Not kidding.

The “Ghost Box” is a “device” created by tampering with an AM/FM radio’s signal sweeping mechanism, a process that results in a radio that rapidly sweeps through channels. Eventually, the flickering sounds of morning DJs, advertisements, and top 40 hits mash into a jumble of static that amateur ghost chasers believe that spirits can actually speak through. It makes absolutely zero sense, but it looks great on television.

“What is your name?” Zaffis asked the box. The box continued to hiss with static, only this crackle translated to “get out”, according to Zaffis.

But while former reality television stars are more than willing to say that the home is chock full of restless spirits, local paranormal investigators are saying that the the whole story is just a ruse. In fact, according to Donald Shovlin of the Luzerne County-based Graveyard Paranormal research team, the tale is pure “BS”.

“I grew up in that neighborhood, and as a teenager my best friend lived in that house and I had spent well over 100 nights sleeping over, and not once had anyone experienced anything paranormal,” Shovlin wrote. “I myself, as founder and lead investigator of my own ghost hunting troupe, Graveyard Paranormal, am sure that there is absolutely nothing haunted about this house.”

So where did the whole “Wilkes-Barre Amityville Horror” tale come from, if the home isn’t actually haunted? Shovlin thinks he has a pretty good idea..

“The whole story was concocted by a local disc jockey in the mid 1070′s, though I haven’t a clue as to his motivation, his revelation happened to come along during the hype of the first Amityville Horror movie.”

It doesn’t take a seasoned paranormal investigator to deduce that the new owners behind the local haunt (and the former reality stars promoting it) might just be less interested in capturing evidence ghosts than they are in snagging a development deal with a production company. Maybe it has more in common with the Amityville Horror, a proven hoax, than anyone realizes.

But to steal a classic John Zaffis cop out, we may never know the truth.
http://blog.roadtrippers.com/tv-stars-s ... -disagree/