Villisca Axe Murders

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Re: Villisca Axe Murders

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:29 am

The Ghost Adventures episode on the Villisca Axe Murder house. Ghost Adventures is the best show out there.

"You told me the house was saved now."

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:05 pm

While interesting I honestly don't see the resemblance to Amityville.

Someone not living in the house killed the entire family rather than a family member killing all the rest of his family.

The murders were done with an axe not a gun.

The murderer covered the mirrors in the house and left the door locked so that he could be long gone before the bodies were discovered.

The MO actually matched other axe murders thus indicating to me it was a serial killer not simply a mass murderer.

We learned early on who murdered the DeFeos but still don't know who killed the Moores.

As for the house, there were how many houses with the "eyes" in the US? How many people living in such houses were murdered? I can point to many more murders in other types of houses. It is a novelty of sorts that it has those windows but anyone trying to read anything into it is barking up the wrong tree.

I have to do alot more research because there are 3 suspects (one of which was tried and acquitted) who are good for it. The one tried supposedly told someone of the killings before the bodies were discovered. I want to find out more about that because that is the strongest evidence to say he did it. How could he know otherwise? How reliable the witness is I have to see. He also confessed I have not seen the details of such confession which could shed some light.

There was someone else suspected of being an axe serial killer who had an a libi but someone disputed his alibi and supposedly saw him in town around the time of the murders. That angle needs more exploring too.

Last someone in prison supposedly confessed on his deathbed.

I need to investigate urther to see all the evidence and try to guess who was the actual serial killer looking at the other similar murders as well. The part about covering the mirrors seems to be a signature.

I also am curious if they ever tried to figure out who traded the bloody shoes to the tramp they picked up.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 am

I think people see similarities because it was a whole family murdered, including young children. Also because of the windows, and there are legends about an Indian burial ground just like with the Amityville story. Obviously though there are a lot of differences.

We had a case here in Maryland, in Cockeysville, that reminded me of the DeFeo murders. It was just featured on the show Killer Kids, I think. A teenage boy shot his parents and two brothers. He tried to make it look like a robbery but it wasn't long before the police could see the robbery was staged and the boy's lack of emotion was a big tip-off. He finally confessed and while they think inheritance money might have been the motive (like the DeFeos, this was a well-off family), they're really not 100% sure of the motive. The boy claimed the father was hard on him. Unlike Ronnie, he appeared to be a pretty healthy-minded boy, at least in the sense he was on sports teams. Like Ronnie, he seems to have wanted mostly to kill the father and I think he even said once he got started, he couldn't stop, and went for the brothers as well as the parents. I may post a link about this story in the DeFeo section sometime, since it's similar.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah, that sounds very similar to Amityville. The axe murders? Not so similar.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:28 am

Rokiisun wrote:Yeah, that sounds very similar to Amityville. The axe murders? Not so similar.
I'm trying to find a good article on that so I can post it to the board for those who are interested in crime stories. I found one where he was described as "trance-like" when committing the killings, and like Ronnie, he killed them in their sleep.

I've never heard any rumors of ghost stories about the house where it happened though.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm

It's still an interesting crime story. I think the fact that the case
only produced suspects (very much like Jack the Ripper) and no
convicted killers/ solid confessions it makes the case more intriguing
to look into. I like reading cases where you come to your own inductions
who the killer could have been and what his/her/their motive was.

In this case, the reverend seems a good candidate for the killer,
but then, maybe it was coincidence he just happened to be leaving
town at the same time. The other candidate would be the guy who
then later went off to commit similar crimes.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

SlayUtterly
Amityville Member

Post by SlayUtterly » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I'm a Chicago-area filmmaker in pre-production for a feature film, "Slay Utterly," inspired by the Villisca ax murders (and the others bearing the 'Ax Man's' crime scene signatures). Although the film is revisionist in that it's been completely modernized, we did recently produce a documentary about the historic Ax Man case, much of which focuses on Villisca.

Just wanted those interested in the subject to be aware of our films. We're actually running a promotion right now, allowing folks to watch the documentary for free online. All we're asking is that you follow @slayutterly on Twitter, and give us a mention. We'll send you a private link to the documentary.

In short, I began writing the script for "Slay Utterly" after spending a night in the Villisca ax murder house. Although I'm inclined to lean toward the place being haunted, we're not making a ghost story. Instead, it was the real-life history that dug its claws into me. I mean, when a preacher and a senator wind up on a short list of suspects, it's hard to deny that truth is stranger than fiction. I've researched the case extensively, so I feel qualified to join this discussion, and look forward to it continuing!

As for the comparisons with Amityville, yes, some folks point to the "eyes" of the houses, but it would be difficult to argue that it's a meaningful similarity. Of course, it's also said that both homes are built atop significant Native American sites. In the paranormal sense, it's been suggested that demonic influence could have played a role in both crimes.

Although the weapons were quite different, the similarity is that no one seems to have woken up in either case. Obviously, it'd be tough to sleep through gunshots (which not even neighbors heard, I understand). But I also think it would be difficult to kill eight sleeping people with an ax without anyone waking up. In the silence of a summer night in 1912, the creaking of a floorboard should have been enough to wake somebody up. To me, that's the most compelling comparison.

Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Welcome, SlayUtterly.
"You told me the house was saved now."

mandersdawn
Amityville Member

Post by mandersdawn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

I just watched the documentary SlayUtterly was talking about, and it was really good! I highly recommend that anyone interested in this case check it out... They make some excellent points and I was left with a few more questions than I had before (and even a couple of things I hadn't though about involving the covered mirrors/bodies) and anticipation to see the movie they're making. Definitely follow them on Twitter and get the link to check it out!

AMRA
Amityville Addict

Post by AMRA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm

There's an interesting short about the hauntings at the house where these killings occurred on the R2 DVD release for the horror movie Lovely Molly (2011). Not sure about the R1 disc though.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Wisconsin man critically injured at Villisca Ax Murder House

A 37-year-old Wisconsin man was critically injured early Friday when he stabbed himself in the chest during a "recreational paranormal’’ visit to the Villisca Ax Murder House in southwest Iowa.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said Steven Laursen Jr. of Rhinelander suffered the self-inflicted injury about 12:45 a.m. at the former home of Josiah B. and Sara Moore, who were bludgeoned to death by an ax murderer while they slept in their beds in June 1912. Six children were also slain.

The home’s owner, Martha Linn, 77, who is a widow, said she has two tour guides who handle the overnight stays at the house, which has no electricity.

"I have these all the time,’’ she said about paranormal "investigative teams’’ visiting the home. "They all hope something will come to them. ... Sometimes they like to tempt fate.’’

Linn said nothing like Friday’s injury has ever occurred at the house during her ownership.

"It’s kind of shocking to wake up and hear that someone has nearly died at your tourist attraction,’’ she said.

"I’m absolutely sick about this. I’m practically in tears,’’ Linn said. "I can’t imagine why somebody would do something like this to himself.’’
http://www.omaha.com/news/iowa/wisconsi ... f6878.html

:shock:

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:03 am

Wow, is this somebody taking the hauntings too seriously?, someone who is kind of crazy? or someone looking for some publicity? :think:

cwf081166
Amityville Member

Post by cwf081166 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 am

When I was looking for information on the 1879 Defoor ferry murders in Atlanta, I read in several websites that axe murders were common in the 1800s.
The main reason being was because everyone had to have an axe during that time for cooking and heating. I also found a website that said that there was a serial killer in Louisiana between 1911-1912 and an axe was their weapon of choice.
http://troytaylorbooks.blogspot.com/201 ... -1912.html

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:36 am

IFC Midnight has released a trailer and poster for The Axe Murders of Villisca. It’s a horror movie about axe murders that take place in… Villisca, Iowa. The film is actually based on a terrifying true story that you can read about here. You can even spend the night in the house!

The full synopsis is below, and the trailer makes the based on true events tale look like a mixture of Amityville Horror and modern “imprudent teenager” movies.

http://filmpulse.net/trailer-poster-axe ... -villisca/

Vaishu
**New Account**

Post by Vaishu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Rokiisun wrote:I'm glad I re-discovered this thread. I'd been rattling my brain for months
trying to remember this case.
Hi I am New Here !! Merry Christmas To all Of You . You Can find a Virtual Tour Of Villisca Ax Murder House In Link Below
http://www.wolfcounselor.com/panoramas/ ... _tour.html

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:51 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
IFC Midnight has released a trailer and poster for The Axe Murders of Villisca. It’s a horror movie about axe murders that take place in… Villisca, Iowa. The film is actually based on a terrifying true story that you can read about here. You can even spend the night in the house!

The full synopsis is below, and the trailer makes the based on true events tale look like a mixture of Amityville Horror and modern “imprudent teenager” movies.
Just what we need is another horror movie based on an actual case while taking major liberties. And the owners can't sue because they've been dead for over a hundred years. Add some surly, angst-ridden Justin Bieber-type teenagers for a teenager's eye candy and you have a movie that might make some money to cover the cost of production.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)