msmart112
Amityville_Member

1895 newspaper clipping

Post by msmart112 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:30 am

Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member

Re: 1895 newspaper clipping

Post by Victor_Pascow » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:13 pm

That would make a really cool idea for a book and a film...wait a minute...W O A H :dance:

So actually, jokes aside, where did this originally come from and how legit is it really?

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:36 pm

I found it while searching here...

https://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

...I was doing a Boolean search with the words amityville and "ocean avenue".

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:10 pm

That would be more in line then with what Holzer said than what Anson’s book says. The book said the Native Americans didn’t bury the dead there, but Holzer and Ethel Myers said it was an Indian burial ground.

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Interesting how Amityville officials and the Historical Society have always denied any Indians burials ever took place on Ocean Avenue (including when I visited there in 2013 doing research), yet according to this article that the area was an "Indian Burial Palace" was common knowledge (or rumor) c.1895. :naughty:
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm
Interesting how Amityville officials and the Historical Society have always denied any Indians burials ever took place on Ocean Avenue (including when I visited there in 2013 doing research), yet according to this article that the area was an "Indian Burial Palace" was common knowledge (or rumor) c.1895. :naughty:
That’s a shame they weren’t honest with you. I think they don’t want the chaos in the village of the people hanging around the house. Still, they should tell the truth.

I guess they would say there is no proof the article was true?

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Great find, Max!

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 pm

msmart112 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm
So, the digging up of these so called "Indian bones" (in 1895 no less) started a chain reaction of "events", that led to the murders and haunting at 112 Ocean Avenue in 1974 to 1976?

Is this what you're trying to insinuate here? And what do Indian burial grounds have to do with hauntings as opposed to regular people burial grounds?

I'm still lost on this scenario so maybe someone in here can provide me with some info to educate me on this matter?

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:So, the digging up of these so called "Indian bones" (in 1895 no less) started a chain reaction of "events", that led to the murders and haunting at 112 Ocean Avenue in 1974 to 1976?

Is this what you're trying to insinuate here? And what do Indian burial grounds have to do with hauntings as opposed to regular people burial grounds?
I wasn't trying to insinuate anything...the reason I posted the articles is because there have been discussions on this board (and other boards) over the years as to whether or not there had once been an Indian burial ground near 112 Ocean Avenue.

BTW...I don't think that bones had anything to do with the murders...and if the house was indeed haunted...I don't think that bones would have had anything to do with it.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:18 am

It does confirm what Hans Holzer discovered when he investigated the house in 1977 and it was not some urban myth.
- Brendan72

"Facts don't care for your feelings."
- Ben Shapiro

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 pm
msmart112 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm
So, the digging up of these so called "Indian bones" (in 1895 no less) started a chain reaction of "events", that led to the murders and haunting at 112 Ocean Avenue in 1974 to 1976?

I'm still lost on this scenario so maybe someone in here can provide me with some info to educate me on this matter?
The theory is that desecration of an Indian’s burial place invites a curse, especially because they weren’t treated right and so much was taken away from them.

Did you ever read about “The Black Hope Horror”? That’s an interesting story if you’re interested in the paranormal. I won’t spoil it for you in case you want to read about it.

Of course it doesn’t prove anything. It’s possible it was common knowledge around Amityville and if the goal was to concoct a story, instead of embarrassing the DeFeo family by suggesting their murdered relatives weren’t at rest, blame long-dead Indians who probably don’t have descendants around to upset.

That said, Anson’s book said it was an Indian burial ground. His book said the Shinnecock tribe imprisoned “crazy and sick” people there to die of exposure. But that they wouldn’t use it as a burial ground because they believed it was “infested with demons”. The book says John Ketchum, a supposed witch from Salem, was buried there (I don’t believe he was a witch, I don’t believe any of the accused were).

The book also has a medium claim there were people buried there but she never said who.

It was Hans Holzer and his medium who said it was an Indian burial ground and that particularly a chief was haunting the place out of anger for his grave being desecrated. According to them, it was him who “possessed” Ronnie, not demons.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Well for starters, that theory is superstition. You should already know this, I'm sure. And if the theory were true, given all this supposed burial grounds for Indians (in Amityville) and all the digging up their graves (over the years), this would lead us to believe there would be a heck of a lot more hauntings all over that town! Not to mention all over America, wouldn't you agree?

No I never read that book you suggested nor heard of it. Always be careful of what you let your eyes browse over. Not tossing out a verdict on what I have no idea on but paranormal activity is an easy sell you know. Try Kaplan :) .

Yeah I know Anson tosses it out in his book. Among other silliness.

Brooke, you're Catholic, correct? You know what happens to souls when they depart! I'm quite sure God does not cut any slack for Indians (regardless of rank) for their sufferings here and allows them to remain around to haunt families whom had nothing to do with their pains, at random. Holzer is a clown, which is why I never bought or read his book.

But maybe I should...

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Yes, I know it’s superstition and I don’t say I believe that this caused anything. It just tends to be a theory in the paranormal field. Other people have claimed this as the reason for their supposed activity.

And I guess if you look at it from a “karma” point of view you could blame it. Like, the graves weren’t respected so now bad luck comes out of it. It wouldn’t be real karma though as it isn’t the fault of the people who move in not knowing there was a grave there.

I don’t know much about Native American beliefs at all so I don’t know what they would say.

Yes as a Catholic I believe a person would go to Heaven when they die, not hang around and torment people but I am open minded and I guess if a soul didn’t want to leave the earth, God wouldn’t force them. I don’t know. I am not quite sure what the church or any Christian church believes about the afterlife for non-Christians.

Oh yeah there’s probably a ton of places that are built over Native American graves. They wear here a long time before the Europeans.

The Black Hope was a cemetery in Texas for slaves. A neighborhood was built on top of it and a lot of paranormal activity was reported, especially after the remains were dug up. A girl even died mysteriously (well I thought it was mysterious). I didn’t read the book, just a page on it. It was quite interesting.

You should read Holzer’s book on the case, it’s entertaining even if you don’t believe in it. There are some decent photos too.

henry_kaney
Amityville Member

Post by henry_kaney » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:00 pm

msmart112 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 pm
jimmysmokes wrote:So, the digging up of these so called "Indian bones" (in 1895 no less) started a chain reaction of "events", that led to the murders and haunting at 112 Ocean Avenue in 1974 to 1976?

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything...the reason I posted the articles is because there have been discussions on this board (and other boards) over the years as to whether or not there had once been an Indian burial ground near 112 Ocean Avenue.

BTW...I don't think that bones had anything to do with the murders...and if the house was indeed haunted...I don't think that bones would have had anything to do with it.

I've put him on Ignore, msmart112. The wonder is that this clown is even still allowed to post on these boards. I know if I were a moderator, he would've been gone a LONG time ago. Nothing but a pompous jackass that has NOTHING positive to contribute...

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm

henry_kaney wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:00 pm
msmart112 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 pm

I've put him on Ignore, msmart112. The wonder is that this clown is even still allowed to post on these boards. I know if I were a moderator, he would've been gone a LONG time ago. Nothing but a pompous jackass that has NOTHING positive to contribute...
If you put me on ignore, how or why you responding to what I'm posting on here? Pompous jackass huh? Coming from a imbecile who's is as boring as your dumb name! And I think the administrators would disagree with you! Being that I've challenged them on here and indulged them in conversation on the haunting, much more than anyone else in here in years! And if you think I'm pompous, do go head to head with me on the haunting and humble me. I'm quite "positive" that you'll have nothing to contribute much like the number of your posts on here that probably matches your IQ.

gd134
Amityville Member

Post by gd134 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:48 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm
If you put me on ignore, how or why you responding to what I'm posting on here? Pompous jackass huh? Coming from a imbecile who's is as boring as your dumb name! And I think the administrators would disagree with you! Being that I've challenged them on here and indulged them in conversation on the haunting, much more than anyone else in here in years! And if you think I'm pompous, do go head to head with me on the haunting and humble me. I'm quite "positive" that you'll have nothing to contribute much like the number of your posts on here that probably matches your IQ.
Yup, that proves his point. Jimmysmokes is a jackass with nothing positive to say.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:33 pm

gd134 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:48 am
jimmysmokes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm
Yup, that proves his point. Jimmysmokes is a jackass with nothing positive to say.
You must like negativity huh? You keep responding to my posts, garbage dump! Do enlighten the crowds on here with some more of your Dawn Defeo involvement in the murders. Perhaps you can tie it in to the Indian Chief buried on the property? :lol:

Definiton of - POSITIVITY, belief in superstition, to promote or push nonsense beliefs in supernatural realms that do not exist. Or, to whine incessantly on forums when one cannot reach desired belief system that one propagates on others.

I'll stick to the sceptics side! Thank you

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm

I like to read everyone’s opinion, there’s really no need to personally attack each other no matter how we feel about the case.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm
I like to read everyone’s opinion, there’s really no need to personally attack each other no matter how we feel about the case.
:like:

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm
I didn't start off with personal attacks on here towards anyone. I merely asked msmart if he were trying to "insinuate" that Indians were behind the haunting or murders with his findings? And it didn't take long to see who would take offense at what I asked. The superstitious whom would like to take this offering by msmart and use it for their own beliefs, which is what I figured would happen.

I would agree with you about personal attacks! However, I didn't start them. Anyone is welcome to debate me on my beliefs regarding Amityville. Generally speaking, they attack me (the messenger) not the message! And that is a tell-tell sign of weakness.

If my posts bother anyone, don't read them or add me to the ignore list. I don't post to gain buddies on here or water down my beliefs to conform. I call it as I see it. If I'm wrong, call me out.