Carbon Monoxide

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Carbon Monoxide

Post by TheLeveller » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I read a great story about this a long time ago. It was from the early 1900's I think. A family were experiencing sightings and hearing things in their house. It was leaving them feeling ill, and bad tempered. They decided to go away and stay with friends for a couple of weeks, and they had no problems at all. However when they returned to their home, their problems started again. The believed it was haunted. Eventually a friend of theirs who happened to be a doctor decided to check out their story about the haunting, and discovered it was carbon monoxide that was escaping into their home. I don't know how he found out by the way. But it got me thinking about the Lutz family and their 28 days. Just for the record, I still believe there was something strange in that house, but just imagine if it was carbon monoxide. It would explain the Lutz family believing they were being haunted in the house.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by DC Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

HMMM. Never of it but I suppose it is possible in general, but remember that CM can also cause death. In these days of available detectors, maybe there should be a study of it measuring any correlation.

In this case, the source of CM would have been George cranking up the furnace and stoking the fire in the living room. However this was in response to feeling cold and Dan has also stated that there were cold spots in the house. Therefore, even if CM may have exacerbated the problem, it would not be the original cause. Also in general the AH is more a story of the people being haunted rather than the house such that whatever was "there" would follow them.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:42 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm
I read a great story about this a long time ago. It was from the early 1900's I think. A family were experiencing sightings and hearing things in their house. It was leaving them feeling ill, and bad tempered. They decided to go away and stay with friends for a couple of weeks, and they had no problems at all. However when they returned to their home, their problems started again. The believed it was haunted. Eventually a friend of theirs who happened to be a doctor decided to check out their story about the haunting, and discovered it was carbon monoxide that was escaping into their home. I don't know how he found out by the way. But it got me thinking about the Lutz family and their 28 days. Just for the record, I still believe there was something strange in that house, but just imagine if it was carbon monoxide. It would explain the Lutz family believing they were being haunted in the house.
Yeah crazy how carbon monoxide made them all imagine exactly the same things including the red room :fp:
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:37 pm

MERV GRIFFIN: And the children experienced it all, too.

GEORGE LUTZ: The children experienced different things. It affected each of us a little differently.
[The Merv Griffin Show, 1979]

ART BELL: Prior to this night, had you been talking to Kathy at all, privately -- I would assume you had conversations with Kathy about what was going on, aside from the children?

GEORGE LUTZ: Yes, and talking – and she would tell me what Missy would say to her and the boys were treating each other differently then they had before we moved-in there. Everyone kind of went to their own spaces at times. For each of us, we learned later, it was different experience at times in the house. It wasn’t like we all experienced everything in unison, or saw the same things or heard the same things.
[Coast to Coast, 2002]

GEORGE LUTZ: When Kathy and I first moved out of the house, one of the things we knew was that we had to undo this -- we had to figure out a way to undo the effects of this house in any way that we could -- and one of the things we did was we went and got a tape recorder and we just sat and talked. We spoke into this tape recorder and we started remembering things. And one of the things we learned in that process was that we had experienced different things at the same time in different rooms. What I mean by that is that Kathy’s perceptions of what was going on for her -- some of the events that were occurring around her or to her, or thoughts that were going through her mind, or her feelings, both physically and emotionally -- were so varied and different from mine.
[Penn State Unicon II, 2003]

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:36 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:37 pm

GEORGE LUTZ: The children experienced different things. It affected each of us a little differently.

ART BELL: Prior to this night, had you been talking to Kathy at all, privately -- I would assume you had conversations with Kathy about what was going on, aside from the children?

GEORGE LUTZ: Yes, and talking – and she would tell me what Missy would say to her and the boys were treating each other differently then they had before we moved-in there. Everyone kind of went to their own spaces at times. For each of us, we learned later, it was different experience at times in the house. It wasn’t like we all experienced everything in unison, or saw the same things or heard the same things.
[Coast to Coast, 2002]

GEORGE LUTZ: When Kathy and I first moved out of the house, one of the things we knew was that we had to undo this -- we had to figure out a way to undo the effects of this house in any way that we could -- and one of the things we did was we went and got a tape recorder and we just sat and talked. We spoke into this tape recorder and we started remembering things. And one of the things we learned in that process was that we had experienced different things at the same time in different rooms. What I mean by that is that Kathy’s perceptions of what was going on for her -- some of the events that were occurring around her or to her, or thoughts that were going through her mind, or her feelings, both physically and emotionally -- were so varied and different from mine.
Different is a common word used several times a day for me. I'm sure in your archive of Amity text, it appears hundreds of times more too, right?

Red room. Levitation. Flies. Ageing woman. Window slammed on hands. All witnessed by different people but the same thing. Capiche?

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Yeah crazy how carbon monoxide made them all imagine exactly the same things including the red room :fp:
Just to be clear. I didn't mean to step on your toes or your beliefs about it all. I just thought it was an interesting theory. As I said before. I myself believe there was something strange in that house.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:37 pm

[Coast to Coast, 2002]

That's very interesting. I have to say, I'm delighted I found this site. I feel like I'm being spoiled with all the new information I'm learning :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: . When you think about it though, isn't it amazing how 28 days changed the entire course of their lives. I only saw My Amityville Horror a few weeks ago. Did the other brother ever release his documentary I wonder?

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm

DC Fan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm
HMMM. Never of it but I suppose it is possible in general, but remember that CM can also cause death. In these days of available detectors, maybe there should be a study of it measuring any correlation.

In this case, the source of CM would have been George cranking up the furnace and stoking the fire in the living room. However this was in response to feeling cold and Dan has also stated that there were cold spots in the house. Therefore, even if CM may have exacerbated the problem, it would not be the original cause. Also in general the AH is more a story of the people being haunted rather than the house such that whatever was "there" would follow them.
You are perfectly correct DC. The CM didn't follow them. I always forget that part. I'm too fixated on the house. I'm starting to wonder is that story I read true at all. Would people be even aware of CM back then? I'm back to square one :think:

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm
DC Fan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

You are perfectly correct DC. The CM didn't follow them. I always forget that part. I'm too fixated on the house. I'm starting to wonder is that story I read true at all. Would people be even aware of CM back then? I'm back to square one :think:
Leveller:

I'm happy to hear about your positive experience of learning new things on this board. I was very impressed too at the time I joined, even though some things like the FAQ could use updating.

I'm in same age range with the Amityville kids. The dangers of CM were known at the time regarding auto exhaust and there were some suicides in garages. However inside homes there were no detectors and we were largely ignorant of the need for them. Smoke detectors in homes were just starting at the time.

I think we were all fixated on the house when the story came out and first approaching the book there was an anticipation of the appearance of DeFeo ghosts. Anson's book was marketed as largely a haunted house thing.

Christopher Quaratino, FKA Lutz, has given several interviews and at least was planning to come out with a truth telling book, but we have been waiting for it for years. Try searching for him on this board and/or Google. Some radio interviews may still be available, and we have had some discussions about him here.

CHEERS

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
I didn't mean to step on your toes or your beliefs about it all.
Don't worry about that. You can try and write as carefully as you can, but certain people are still gonna get all upset at times, no matter what your position is.

Just know that all views are welcome.

But yeah, you'll need a thick skin around here sometimes. Things can get heated.
TheLeveller wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
Did the other brother ever release his documentary I wonder?
No. Chris never did release a documentary. In the past he has told me to "sh*t or get off the pot" when it comes to my graphic design work, so I have no problem throwing those words right back at him. 8-)

Chris has done some interviews, but he doesn't talk much about specific events or details.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Leveller:

I'm happy to hear about your positive experience of learning new things on this board. I was very impressed too at the time I joined, even though some things like the FAQ could use updating.

I'm in same age range with the Amityville kids. The dangers of CM were known at the time regarding auto exhaust and there were some suicides in garages. However inside homes there were no detectors and we were largely ignorant of the need for them. Smoke detectors in homes were just starting at the time.

I think we were all fixated on the house when the story came out and first approaching the book there was an anticipation of the appearance of DeFeo ghosts. Anson's book was marketed as largely a haunted house thing.

Christopher Quaratino, FKA Lutz, has given several interviews and at least was planning to come out with a truth telling book, but we have been waiting for it for years. Try searching for him on this board and/or Google. Some radio interviews may still be available, and we have had some discussions about him here.

CHEERS
Thanks DC. I'm 40 so I was born after it all kicked off. I remember watching the movie when I was growing up, and I remember finding a picture of the house in a book I had years ago, about ghosts and hauntings. It was real spooky looking :pray: . I don't think I've ever read Anson's book to be honest. I will have to remedy that at some stage. I wonder will Christopher ever release that book. I wonder would he agree with Danny's stories of the house?

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Don't worry about that. You can try and write as carefully as you can, but certain people are still gonna get all upset at times, no matter what your position is.

Just know that all views are welcome.

But yeah, you'll need a thick skin around here sometimes. Things can get heated.
Thanks a lot Dan. I look forward to hanging out here.

No. Chris never did release a documentary. In the past he has told me to "sh*t or get off the pot" when it comes to my graphic design work, so I have no problem throwing those words right back at him. 8-)

Chris has done some interviews, but he doesn't talk much about specific events or details.
Its a pity he never did a documentary. It would be interesting to hear his experiences.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 pm

I heard on an episode of Paranormal State that carbon monoxide and the paranormal often are connected but the community isn’t sure why (this was almost ten years ago, not sure if any new research has gone into that). One of the clients on the show felt cold spots and other things and people felt ill in the house but it all turned out to be carbon monoxide.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 am

It's strange isn't it. There is so much we don't know. And I suppose we'll never know about this one. It's really interesting though. It makes you wonder. That's for sure.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:25 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 am
It's strange isn't it. There is so much we don't know. And I suppose we'll never know about this one. It's really interesting though. It makes you wonder. That's for sure.
The only thing that I am sure of is that both Kathy and George believed what they said, whatever the cause might have been. And that in itself makes it an interesting story for us and a terrifying experience for them.
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Matt9290 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:25 pm
TheLeveller wrote:
The only thing that I am sure of is that both Kathy and George believed what they said, whatever the cause might have been. And that in itself makes it an interesting story for us and a terrifying experience for them.
I agree Matt. I believe it was terrifying for them. I suppose I should lay my cards on the table. I'm 80% haunting, and 20% CM. The only reason I brought up the CM, is when I read about the effects of it, it is very similar to a haunting.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:54 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm
Matt9290 wrote:
TheLeveller wrote:
I agree Matt. I believe it was terrifying for them. I suppose I should lay my cards on the table. I'm 80% haunting, and 20% CM. The only reason I brought up the CM, is when I read about the effects of it, it is very similar to a haunting.
I mean, this CM conspiracy is a bit on Alex Jones levels, to say the least. Nothing is documented and it really doesn't make any sense. Its a nice option if you're a sceptic but its completely nuts to seriously consider.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:52 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm
Matt9290 wrote:
TheLeveller wrote:
There is plenty of evidence to suggest that George was quite obsessed with the fire and keeping the place warm, so it's a very good point and I do agree that CM can cause very similar effects. If it was the cause (or even one of the contributing causes), then it would have been terrifying and felt quite real for those experiencing it.
I honestly don't believe that George concocted this as a hoax, so exploring the reasons/causes behind the families experience is all we can do. I'd like to believe it was a genuine haunting but the intensity of some of the claimed experiences does suggest that their was ''something'' more going on.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:12 am

On the issue of CM, the issue of whatever happened to Father Ray is significant. Let's remember that his story is of what happens on moving day, when conceivably the front door is propped open to let in furniture. And this is before George starts stoking big fires to keep himself warm.

I have before presented the possibility that Father Ray may have been exaggerating his story after moving day but if we accept his story as factual, the CM theory does not explain what he experienced.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 am

DC Fan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:12 am
On the issue of CM, the issue of whatever happened to Father Ray is significant. Let's remember that his story is of what happens on moving day, when conceivably the front door is propped open to let in furniture. And this is before George starts stoking big fires to keep himself warm.

I have before presented the possibility that Father Ray may have been exaggerating his story after moving day but if we accept his story as factual, the CM theory does not explain what he experienced.
The account given by Father Ray absolutely rules out CM for the cause of his experience, and is in keeping with historical documented hauntings. If he did exaggerate the account then I still suspect that he experienced something out-of-the-ordinary. But some of the claims made by George and Kathy go far beyond this.
If you subscribe to the concept of ''demonic possession'' then no further explanation is necessary. But if you have difficulty with this notion, then you have explore what other contributing factors might have been at play. I'm not saying that CM is definitely one of these factors, but it is a possibility.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member

Post by TheLeveller » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am

DC Fan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:12 am

Hi DC. That's interesting about the front door. I didn't know it happened on moving day either. Again I'm learning all the time. As a matter of interest, is Father Ray's account of his experiences on this site, or where would I find it?