Haunting of Hill House - Amityville parallels?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Haunting of Hill House - Amityville parallels?

Post by underthegarden » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 am

Anyone else watching Haunting of Hill House (Netflix series, not original)? I am a few episodes in and finding lots of Amityville-esque references. The red room. The young family who is trying to get back on their feet. The sibling who later in life writes about the experience, though other siblings not quite on board with his theories (or wish to remain out of it entirely). The sounds at night, the vibe of the house, the running out in the middle of the night to escape, never turning back. Probably intentional, as it takes advantages of classic horror movie lore to exact more scares, but the more I watch, the more similarities I find.

Love it.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Re: Haunting of Hill House - Amityville parallels?

Post by Amit Y Ville » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am

That show is true garbage.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am

Wonderful show. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I like horror movies that scare you as you try to go to sleep later that night. And while this one didn't do that for me, it had that same vibe as those types of films.

In short -- I enjoy scary situations rather than a sudden cheap loud noise meant to startle you.

I never got around to reading the book, but I kinda doubt the book mentions a "red room." If it did, I would think a lot of people would have mentioned it back in the 70s when the book "The Amityville Horror" first came out.

Like you said, I also think this was a nod to Amityville.

Also (for anyone who hasn't yet seen it yet) I recommend the 1963 film "The Haunting" (a nice one to watch at this time of year). Based on the same book/story.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am
I almost didn't make it through the first episode (stopped when the doorknob started twisting on its own- puh-leeze), then stuck with it. It got a lot better, redeemed itself. What didn't you like? I am usually pretty harsh on most horror series and movies; most seem to rely on jump scares and have inane plots (with worse writing). This one is better than most, with great set design, decent writing, good acting, psychological elements. Surprised I am liking it so much.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am
Wonderful show. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I like horror movies that scare you as you try to go to sleep later that night. And while this one didn't do that for me, it had that same vibe as those types of films.

In short -- I enjoy scary situations rather than a sudden cheap loud noise meant to startle you.

I never got around to reading the book, but I kinda doubt the book mentions a "red room." If it did, I would think a lot of people would have mentioned it back in the 70s when the book "The Amityville Horror" first came out.

Like you said, I also think this was a nod to Amityville.

Also (for anyone who hasn't yet seen it yet) I recommend the 1963 film "The Haunting" (a nice one to watch at this time of year). Based on the same book/story.
Second the 1963 film version (The Haunting). Very well done, chilling. The book had a blue room and green room, but the most haunted was the nursery.

Exmortis
Amityville Member

Post by Exmortis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm

I thought it stayed faithful to the book and did it justice...well done.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 pm

underthegarden wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 am
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am
I almost didn't make it through the first episode (stopped when the doorknob started twisting on its own- puh-leeze), then stuck with it. It got a lot better, redeemed itself. What didn't you like? I am usually pretty harsh on most horror series and movies; most seem to rely on jump scares and have inane plots (with worse writing). This one is better than most, with great set design, decent writing, good acting, psychological elements. Surprised I am liking it so much.
It ripped off a LOT from Amityville, and it has a huge load of hype behind it which most American drama seasons have but just can't deliver because of stealing concepts already done. Oh, and the timeline being all over the place is really stupid. Get some originality American drama writers ffs.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."