Art Bell's Dark Matter

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Art Bell's Dark Matter

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 am

RADIO'S ART BELL RETURNING WITH SIRIUS XM SHOW

Art Bell, radio's master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio's top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn't been on the air since Halloween 2010.

"I missed it terribly," said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. Sirius is building a studio at Bell's rural Nevada home where he will work.

A Sirius representative contacted Bell through social media a few months ago, leading to the formation of his show, "Art Bell's Dark Matter." He'll talk about things like UFOs, ghosts, near-death experiences and weird aspects of science. He'll do interviews and take calls from viewers.

Scott Greenstein, Sirius XM president and chief content officer, said the show will be "uncensored, unrestricted, uncluttered and utterly unique."

"There's probably more interest in the genre now than when I did it," Bell said. "When I did it, I was damned near alone."

Bell was on some 500 radio stations nationwide and "quit when he was at the top of his game," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers, a magazine that covers the radio industry.

Harrison said Bell's subject matter has roots in old-time radio, and he predicted it will become popular once again in the coming years.

"He'll be looked at as one of the veteran, old masters," Harrison said. "He's the real deal when it comes to marching to the beat of a different drummer."

There's also a potential rivalry with George Noory, who replaced Bell on the syndicated show. Bell isn't a fan, saying he considers Noory "not edgy enough." Noory's program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live.

No contract terms were divulged.

Bell said he's intrigued to learn the differences between satellite and terrestrial radio.

"It seems to me they are the next step in technology," he said. "I've always been a technological junkie. The mix of what they're giving me, the freedom that they're giving me, is priceless."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/radios-a ... us-xm-show

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Re: Art Bell's Dark Matter

Post by BooshaGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am

Yeay! I've missed Art Bell SO much--but I only get Sirius in my car...and I'm not about to go to my car from 10p-1a. Guess a trip to Radio Shack is in order.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Well that didn't last long...
Paranormal Radio Host Art Bell Mysteriously Disappears From SiriusXM

The much ballyhooed return of paranormal radio host Art Bell ended in just six weeks.

The master of UFOs, fringe science and conspiracy theory is apparently at odds with SiriusXM over live streaming for his millions of fans.

The 68-year-old co-creator of the hugely successful "Coast to Coast AM" retired from his full-time role of master of the macabre in 2003, after 15 years. Over that span, he went from mainstream talk to a highly successful foray into unexplained phenomena, turning the syndicated juggernaut into the most listened to overnight show in North America.

The late night show's reins were comfortably taken over by the popular George Noory.

This past July, SiriusXM Satellite Radio announced that Bell would launch a new, live, nightly call-in show, "Art Bell's Dark Matter," in September.

But since Bell's new program Sept. 16 premiere, there have been, according to Bell on his website, many problems with streaming his show.

"Many thousands of my listeners came on board when it began but they have fallen off because of that reason," Bell said. "It's a systemic problem. For a caller-driven show like this one, speaking only to people on cell phones in moving vehicles is somewhat difficult.

"The show also is being pirated, oh you have no idea. We are all over the Net right now, from YouTube to a server in England, for example, that's streaming the show live. And because of all this, I have asked SiriusXM to alter their normal method of doing business and allow free streaming for everybody from artbell.com.

"If we get the opportunity to do this streaming, we will kick some serious butt...If not, we may not have a viable situation going forward."

It appears that SiriusXM has decided not to work things out for Bell, as his website now indicates he posted the following on his Facebook page:

"Sometimes when you are 'all in' you win, sometimes lose. By mutual agreement, Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight."

HuffPost's call to SiriuxXM for a comment on this Bell rumor was not returned. When we contacted Noory (pictured at left), the top overnight radio host in the country, for his reaction, he merely said, "No comment."

Plus, an unnamed source scheduled for an appearance on Bell's show received an email from someone in Bell's camp, which stated: "I regret to inform you (and all upcoming guests) that "Art Bell's Dark Matter" program will no longer be airing live shows effective immediately. I'm really thankful for your efforts with regards to being on the program and I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

"Should events change in the future, I'll be sure to let you know."

The show had only been on the air since Sept. 16, and tonight's program is a scheduled repeat, after only being on SiriusXM for just six weeks.

And once again, Art Bell's radio voice is quiet.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 15776.html

Vlad
Amityville Addict

Post by Vlad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 pm

That's what he gets for selling out to pay radio.

If he still wants to do a radio show, he needs to come back to CtC, where he belongs.

The show's been almost unlistenable since Noory took over. I used to listen to it regularly in 1999-2004. Now I hardly listen to it at all. Noory is so gullible and politically correct. I sorely miss Art's cynicism and irreverent sense of humor.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

Vlad wrote:That's what he gets for selling out to pay radio.

If he still wants to do a radio show, he needs to come back to CtC, where he belongs.

The show's been almost unlistenable since Noory took over. I used to listen to it regularly in 1999-2004. Now I hardly listen to it at all. Noory is so gullible and politically correct. I sorely miss Art's cynicism and irreverent sense of humor.
I like George Noory.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

Ya know...I like Noory, too--but maybe because he's from Detroit area. I did like Art's show (and bumper music) better, though...and Art really has a "knack" (and a face) for radio.

Art needs to settle down...and be what he used to be: RELIABLE. I understand his frustrations with the streaming issues, but I think his EGO, more than anything, took a hit because most people who have Sirius (like me), got it for free for a year when purchasing a new car. I renewed, but mostly for Howard Stern...and got SO excited for Art Bell's return, I considered buying a device for home listening.

Art moved overseas after his wife died suddenly (then he like almost immediately married that young girl and had a baby with her) and broadcast from there--and I didn't like the show as much. It was all in MY head, though--because I liked to envision him broadcasting from his place in the "high desert" instead of some hi-rise apartment in the Phillipines (sp?).

anyway---it would be nice if he and Noory could share a program. One week George...one week Art.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 am

Actually Art's show may have been pulled because his show was a Clear Channel Siruis XM channel and Clear Channel pulled many of their stations off Sirus XM for some reason a couple of weeks ago.

JoeMorris
Amityville Member

Post by JoeMorris » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Sleep Paralysis does funny things to your underpants.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

Victoria Principles wrote:Actually Art's show may have been pulled because his show was a Clear Channel Siruis XM channel and Clear Channel pulled many of their stations off Sirus XM for some reason a couple of weeks ago.
No kidding? I didn't know this. Shame.

Vlad
Amityville Addict

Post by Vlad » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:
Vlad wrote:I like George Noory.
To each his own.

He may be a nice guy, but he is a terrible, soft-ball interviewer. I understand that a host for this type of show has to humor and patronize his guests to a point, but George rarely shows an ounce of skepticism at even the most absurd claims.

I liked when Art permanently banned the "Amazing" Kreskin from his show after he reneged on a promise to donate $50,000 to charity when one of his BS predictions didn't come true. George just would have tried to make excuses for Kreskin.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 am

Art Bell Dead: Radio Host Dies

Radio host Art Bell – whose conspiracy theories and interest in paranormal activity and UFOs were broadcast into homes throughout America – is dead, according to the Nye County Sheriff’s Department in Nevada.

“Community Announcement — Long time resident, and radio show host, Art Bell died today at 72 years old in his home in Pahrump Nevada,” the Sheriff’s Department announced on Facebook. “With an estimated 10 million listeners, Bell’s show was at the time of his retirement the most listened-to late-night radio program, and fourth overall,” ABC News reports.
https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/art-bell ... -dies-how/

R.I.P.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 am

Really sad news about Art Bell - he will be missed
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 pm

How'd he die? Sounds like a conspiracy.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:10 am

Here is Art Bell's 1999 interview with Larry King:

https://youtu.be/1JmPeZa-QEo
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:How'd he die? Sounds like a conspiracy.
It was a conspiracy between the reptilian aliens, the Deep State, and the Illuminati.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 am

A bit of an update on Art's passing
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...