Well that about wraps it up for Amityville.

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Re: Well that about wraps it up for Amityville.

Postby DC Fan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:
DC Fan wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:yes it did. by going to Weber they were able to start the ball rolling and ended up with a better deal with anson.

300,000 plus. not bad for a few weeks in a house

So now if someone wants to write a book they should go to a lawyer to get it published or get an initial offer? People don't do that.

I don't think it should be in dispute that a lawyer who wanted a book deal with them was a big part of their problems. It created a lawsuit.

Uh, that's exactly what they did! Or have you forgotten that little paper that was drawn up with Weber that they backed out on? and yes it was the first of many lawsuits. You reap what you sew.

It was Weber who proposed to write a book and he admits it. You make it sound like Lutz went to Weber to get a quote to compare with others.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I"m pretty sure that Lutz refused the deal and objected to Weber's press conference prior to obtaining an offer from Prentice-Hall.
DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Postby Jimmie_R » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:07 am

When all is said and done..the most interesting thing about all this is still the murders and what happened that night.
Jimmie_R
Amityville Member

Postby jimmysmokes » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

yep the lutzes were forced into that press conference. you make it sound like the weber forced the lutzes into writing a book?

yeah they rejected upon learning they could make a bit more money on that fairy tale.
FIRE THAT THING UP!
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Postby Bodie_Rose » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Jimmie_R wrote:When all is said and done..the most interesting thing about all this is still the murders and what happened that night.

True, that's here it all started.
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict

Postby DC Fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:yep the lutzes were forced into that press conference. you make it sound like the weber forced the lutzes into writing a book?

yeah they rejected upon learning they could make a bit more money on that fairy tale.

It's not that simple because there has to be a timeline on these events. The Lutzes did three things:
1. Objecting to the press conference, to which you just admitted.
2. They decided, whether telling Weber or not, to not sign on with him.
3. A friend who knew Tam Mossman arranged for an offer from Prentice Hall.

But in what exact order? If these events did happen in this order then they did not as you proclaim reject Weber's offer "upon learning they could make a bit more money on that fairy tale".

In an interview with Lou Gentle, presumably without any prior knowledge that he would need to describe things in this way, George states here:

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/intlgps.html#moss

"Well that was probably one of the biggest mistakes we ever made – even trying to help Ronald DeFeo – because this guy was only interested in doing books and movies about the murders, and he was not interested in helping his client in that manner.

Eventually he came back to Kathy and I with a contract that is about 3/4 of an inch of paper, where he wanted us to do books and movies with him about this, and he wanted us to give him the house – donate the house to this corporation he was gonna form. And I still have this contract – this proposed contract from him. He wanted us to donate the house to him and all the contents and agree that for the rest of our lives we would appear anytime that he decided we should appear – and we would talk about this on cue. But also that if we at any time told – said – anything that wasn't the truth, that we would receive no benefit from doing this.

So on the one hand he was making us swear to the truth, that everything we had told him was the truth – and that was the reason why he was interested in doing this. On the other hand, he was going to control our lives one way or the other, either economically or physically even. And that was just an unconscionable kind of idea to become an indentured servant to someone who hadn't even – didn't even know what we were talking about – who had no real belief in anything that we had been through in terms of his own experience – his own personal experience. He obviously believed us, because he put this contract together in such a way that he thought it was commercially viable.

A friend of mine who sold textbooks to colleges looked at this and said, "I know someone who you should talk to before you ever consider such a thing." I said, "Well we're not even considering this – this is just an absurd idea," but he introduced us then to Tam Mossman who was an editor at Prentice-Hall Books – Prentice Hall Trade Division." [emphasis added]

So it here at least looks like the Lutzes decided against Weber's offer before having any knowledge that they could get any other offer.
DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Postby Amityville Rock » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Jimmie_R wrote:When all is said and done..the most interesting thing about all this is still the murders and what happened that night.

True, if the murders never occurred it would have been just another haunted house story. Ronnie Jr's killing spree was the hook that drew in millions of fans, for lack of a better term. Even today I find the murders and the legendary twenty-eight days far more interesting than all the BS that supposedly followed the Lutzes after they fled. For example, I couldn't care less about George being a "warlock". If that is all Danny, Micky and Chris have left in the tank it's time to buy a new car because that junk heap is running on fumes.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999
Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 am

DC Fan wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:yep the lutzes were forced into that press conference. you make it sound like the weber forced the lutzes into writing a book?

It's not that simple because there has to be a timeline on these events. The Lutzes did three things:
1. Objecting to the press conference, to which you just admitted.
2. They decided, whether telling Weber or not, to not sign on with him.
3. A friend who knew Tam Mossman arranged for an offer from Prentice Hall.

But in what exact order? If these events did happen in this order then they did not as you proclaim reject Weber's offer "upon learning they could make a bit more money on that fairy tale".

In an interview with Lou Gentle, presumably without any prior knowledge that he would need to describe things in this way, George states here:

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/intlgps.html#moss

"Well that was probably one of the biggest mistakes we ever made – even trying to help Ronald DeFeo – because this guy was only interested in doing books and movies about the murders, and he was not interested in helping his client in that manner.

Eventually he came back to Kathy and I with a contract that is about 3/4 of an inch of paper, where he wanted us to do books and movies with him about this, and he wanted us to give him the house – donate the house to this corporation he was gonna form. And I still have this contract – this proposed contract from him. He wanted us to donate the house to him and all the contents and agree that for the rest of our lives we would appear anytime that he decided we should appear – and we would talk about this on cue. But also that if we at any time told – said – anything that wasn't the truth, that we would receive no benefit from doing this.

So on the one hand he was making us swear to the truth, that everything we had told him was the truth – and that was the reason why he was interested in doing this. On the other hand, he was going to control our lives one way or the other, either economically or physically even. And that was just an unconscionable kind of idea to become an indentured servant to someone who hadn't even – didn't even know what we were talking about – who had no real belief in anything that we had been through in terms of his own experience – his own personal experience. He obviously believed us, because he put this contract together in such a way that he thought it was commercially viable.

A friend of mine who sold textbooks to colleges looked at this and said, "I know someone who you should talk to before you ever consider such a thing." I said, "Well we're not even considering this – this is just an absurd idea," but he introduced us then to Tam Mossman who was an editor at Prentice-Hall Books – Prentice Hall Trade Division." [emphasis added]

So it here at least looks like the Lutzes decided against Weber's offer before having any knowledge that they could get any other offer.

Lesson in this case. Never negotiate directly with a lawyer unless you hire another lawyer to represent you.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby Brooke Forrester » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
Bodie_Rose wrote:The only time I've ever heard that claim was from RONNIE, when Holzer interviewed him in prison. Unless you mean a supposed picture of a "spirit" inside a house which may or may not be the same one that occupied the plot originally. A photo that looks so fake it's not even funny.

You mean the picture that looked like it was a photoshop image of Black Sabbath's first album cover? What I am talking about is rumors that the Catholic Church performed cleansings or excorisms while the DeFeo's were in the house. Why did Ronnie pass out religious statue necklaces to his aquaitances and associates saying he "had the devil on his back". What was the deal with all those religious statues in their front yard that was put up not too long before the murders along with the "High Hopes" sign?

But where do these rumors of exorcisms come from? If they can't be authenticated, they could just be stories made up to make the story more interesting.

Ron Sr. could have meant his troubled son when he said "the devil on my back".

I would need more than Ronnie Jr.'s word that the house was haunted before the murders to consider it. And I don't trust anything he says nor do I believe he was possessed. I'm not even sure he was trying to say he was possessed in court, did he actually use that word? I thought he just said he heard voices telling him to do it, which could have been said to make the jury think he was schizophrenic, not possessed.
Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Postby BooshaGirl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 am

I wouldn't be so hard on the stepchildren of George. They were only little children at the time. On the other hand, they had to live with the aftermath. This thing was NOT their choice. It was their parents. They can only tell what they remember. They can offer us their point of view of George (and their mom) after they moved and had to deal with him later in life as young adults. I am interested in their stories. They didn't ask for any of this--and if they try make a buck off of their stories--even if Danny and Chris' stories conflict (I remember events differently than my siblings, too--we all had different experiences)--why not? I'd both listen to them and purchase their first-hand-knowledge books/documentaries if and when they make them.
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Previous

Return to Amityville Discussion